IDEA-League Research Grant
What is the IDEA League?
IDEA League is a collaborative network between the leading European Universities of Science and Technology:
Since its foundation in 1999, the IDEA League has promoted collaboration between the universities named above through joint degree programs, research initiatives, joint strategy papers, and quality management initiatives.
IDEA League Research Grant
IDEA League grants promote research collaboration between the participating universiteis. Bachelor's, Master's, and Diplom students and doctoral candidates are eligible to apply for these grants.
The grant scheme enables students to undertake a research visit to an IDEA League university in order to do research, for example, in the context of a final thesis or dissertation. Grantholders do not attend courses and seminars at the host institution.
The IDEA League research grant is awarded on a competitive basis.
The following application documents must be submitted in English:
- Application form
- Statement of motivation
- CV/Resume including information on study or research abroad projects undertaken so far
- Research proposal by the supervising professor at the host university, including a description of the applicant's responsibilities
- Recommendation letter from the supervising professor at RWTH Aachen
- Transcript of records (from CAMPUS)
Please note that international Master's students in the first or second semester of study are not eligible to apply for the research grant. In order to offer the opportunity of studying abroad to as many students as possible, students with no previous study-abroad experience will be given preference.
The Application Process
- In a first step, the applicant decides on the research area in which to undertake the research project and then which IDEA League partner university would be suitable.
- Subsequently, the applicant is to perform preparatory online research, via the (potential) host institution's website, to find out about possible research projects or identify research areas within which the project may be conducted. There is a database for this at ETH Zürich. There are also instructions for projects at Chalmers University.
- In a next step, the applicant gets in touch with contact person they researched at the host university. If contacting them via email, it is best to explain your motivation and to name a time frame, in which you would like to complete the project, along with your resume, a current transcript of records, and if available, documentation of practical experiences such as work certificates or a recommendation letter.
- After you have found a supervisor, you can submit the application documents for the IDEA League Research Grant to the RWTH International Office.
- Applications can be submitted starting January 1 and July 1 for the deadlines in February and August, respectively. After each of the two deadlines, all applications will be reviewed by a selection committee, who decides on the successful candidates.
- Successful candidates will receive the letter of acceptance approximately three weeks after the deadline.
- The International Office pays the grant to the successful applicant and attends to the formalities with the partner institution. During the research abroad period, grant holders remain enrolled at their home universities.
- Upon return to RWTH Aachen each student has to provide a brief report (1 page A4) in English including a photograph of themselves in the host lab to their home supervisor and to the International Office of RWTH Aachen. The photograph may be used for publication in RWTH media. Please use the template on the IDEA League website under testimonials.
- Students participating in the grant scheme will be listed on the IDEA web following their research stay.